Monday, August 27, 2012

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 Review


I've heard many good things about Fresh's line of lip treatments from friends and the online blogosphere. I mean, I'd like to think that the great packaging is already enough to catch anyone's eye. It started with a want for a new lip balm where I purchased and fell in loveee with the texture of Fresh's Sugar Honey lip treatment. Then summer came along and I fell into a coral colored phase and impulsed purchased Sugar Coral (which, imho, is not as coral colored as I had imagined it to be but still beautiful) and then my birthday came along and I received the last two, Sugar Fresh and Sugar Rose, as a gift and I'm just uber in love with the entire freakin' family!

Colors from Left to Right in above image: Sugar, Sugar Honey Tinted, Sugar Rose Tinted, Sugar Coral Tinted

Cost: $22.50

Fresh Sugar Honey and Coral were purchased from Sephora. The mini lip duo's were received as a gift from Sephora for my birthday. This is my favorite Beauty Insider birthday gift so far. :)

Description from Sephora.com:
Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 blends reparative oils and waxes with real sugar, a natural humectant, for delectable and dependable moisture. Sweet and tart black currant oil, rich in plumping essential fatty acids, cushions the lips while antioxidant grapeseed polyphenols and vitamins A, C, and E provide protection from wrinkle-causing free radicals. It also provides essential, year-round protection from damaging UV rays.


Pros:
- Nice light lemony scent

- Really smooth, creamy soft texture. Simply glides across lips (given they’re not flaky and dry, lol). Not waxy at all like some other balms I’ve tried (yuck).

- Extremely nourishing~

- Has SPF 15. SWEET! It’s hard finding a lip balm with decent SPF. The only one I’ve been able to find in drugstores is by Blistex but I feel like it dries out my lips so I don’t often use it.

- Nice natural, every day color (at least on my lips). The Rose doesn’t look overly dramatic like some reds I own. The Honey doesn’t make me look like death like some nude tones I own. The Coral gives just a bit more of a pop of color than the Rose but it’s not overly done.

- Design of the aluminum casing is so nice! How can one resist? I’m such a sucker for design. It’s nice not buying something plastic and cheap looking for once.

- These balms can withstand fairly high heat. I once accidentally left my Coral and Rose balms in my car on a REALLY hot day. The metal was warm to the touch when I retrieved them from the trunk of my car. I opened the container, expecting a gooey slushy mess but the balm was, surprisingly, still in one piece! Granted, it looked very moist so I left it to cool without touching it. The balms are now tilted a bit to the side and the edges are scraped a bit but they’re both still good to use!

Swatches from Left to Right: Coral, Honey, Rose, and Sugar

Cons:
- Pricey! $22.50 for a lip balm? Yikes.

- Doesn’t plump my lips like Fresh states it should but honestly, I don’t mind. I didn’t even know it was supposed to plump till after I purchased mine.

Conclusion:
The pros obviously outnumber the one con for this lip balm in my opinion and I just love them! The design, the refreshing but not too overpowering lemony scent, the buttery smooth texture, and the great color application…  Fresh’s Sugar Lip Treatment is the epitome of the perfect lip balm, in my opinion. I like that because it’s a lip balm, it doesn’t dry out my lips or doesn’t leave a sticky texture (like some glosses do).

Ahh~ I love lip products… But gosh, this lip balm is so luxurious when applied to the lips that I try not to let myself reach for it often. Love it, love it though. Fresh, you did good. Please keep ‘em coming! I might just have to go and pick up Plum and Passion to complete my collection…..


If you care for more pictures, scroll down for close ups of the individual balms:

Fresh Sugar Coral Tinted 

Fresh Sugar Honey Tinted 

Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted

Fresh Sugar

1 comment:

Constructive criticism is deeply appreciated. ♥