Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DIY Vitamin C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum w/ Jojoba: Attempt #1 - Fail




Here's my first attempt a while back at making my own Vitamin C serum.

Where I purchased my ingredients and supplies (all prices are exclusive of shipping, taxes, etc):
4oz L-Ascorbic Acid (Ultrafine) @ LotionCrafter for $13.75
200g/7.06oz Sea Kelp BioFerment @ Bulk Actives for $7.10
Jojoba Oil (Desert Essence)
Distilled Water (store brand)
15g/0.53oz Ferulic Acid @ Bulk Actives for $5.45
Vitamin E (had quite a difficult time finding a pure version of this but finally found a pack of three on Amazon.com)
Vodka (store brand)

Other supplies:
Amber colored glass dropper bottles @ Whole Foods
3 shot glasses
pH meter
measuring spoons
rubber gloves

Need to still buy:
Funnel
Tiny silicone spatula?
Mini mixer!

One of many recipes from Kassy of SkinCareTalk (Many thanks!)15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba 
1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp Distilled Water
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.) 



Boiling glass to sterilize.






Oops!

Not the milky texture I was expecting.... You can see the clumps of the sea kelp ferment.

Goopy spread.

Nice finish though.

What a fail, haha. I stirred and stirred everything just as the recipe had called for but I couldn't get it right. Even after 3 attempts, the serum was still the same, strange, jelly texture. It's not gritty but the serum is more like a ton of jelly bits. I can't tell if it's an issue with the Sea Kelp Ferment I bought or the Ferulic Acid perhaps?

After reading and reading, the common issue seems to lie with the L-Ascorbic Acid. Not mixing it for long enough will result in a gritty texture, if I remember correctly. My concoctions aren't exactly gritty but I'll try stirring the concoction for longer later today and see how that turns out. General consensus is to stir between 10-30 minutes long. O_O

I'll be the first to admit that I think I'd rather shell out the bucks than sit and stir for 10-30 minutes with a tiny little stirring spoon every week. BUT. Since I'm not one to shell out $100 for expired serum, I DO want to make my own and will think of a better solution. Which I have found! HAHA. See adorable mini mixer here. http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cordless-Mini-Mixer-Piece/dp/B000E39LYO

I purchased it yesterday after my fourth failed attempt. Can't wait to get it and my goodness, I hope it works. Till then… I'll sit and stir for 10 minutes tonight. Bah.

Will post recipe when I figure out one that works for me. :)


1 comment:

  1. I think it's the Sea skelp bioferment. I have the same problems too. Reduce SKB and add 1/4 tsp glycerin and 1/4 tsp aloe vera gel This will help. I added Vitamin B5 1% to it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is deeply appreciated. ♥