Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Illamasqua Satin Primer Review


Illamasqua's Satin Primer is described as a primer that lifts and highlights the face while also creating a stunning dewy effect.



Cost: $30 for 1 oz.

Illamasqua Satin Primer on hand.

Blending.

Slightly dewy finish on back of hand.

Pros: + Milky texture so a little goes a long way. Easy to apply and blend on face.
+ White in color but doesn't leave a white cast on face (hurrah!).
+ Leaves my face looking very dewy but I wonder if it could be confused for shine.
+ Definitely recommended for those with dry skin since it absorbs into skin well.
+ Lightweight. Doesn't feel heavy on my skin.
+ Has SPF 20.
+ Smells like vanilla candy.
+ Did not bother my sensitive skin.

Cons: - Probably not suitable for those with oily skin since it made my dry-normal skin so shiny/dewy.
- No noticeable lifting in my skin. Not sure about the highlighting unless you count the all over dewyness as highlighter.
- Pricey. $30 for 1 oz? Hmm....

Here is bare skin, before Illamasqua Satin Primer application:
Hmm you can see tiny bumps on my cheek and redness. Anyone know what this is? I've had these tiny bumps on my cheeks since I was in grade school. They're not pimples. :) I always wondered if it was minor rosacea.

Here is after Illamasqua Satin Primer application:

With flash after application:

Verdict?
I've been into primers lately since a friend recently informed me that primers are actually good to use cause they create a barrier between your skin and the makeup you wear so as to not allow your skin to absorb too much makeup. Definitely good to know since nobody wants clogged pores! Still, with the amount of Illamasqua Satin Primer you get for $30, I probably wouldn't purchase this for myself since it's only 1 oz. Thankfully I was able to test out this primer thanks to my friend T. I'd recommend this primer though for those who have dry skin and or as a primer for the winter time. :)

12 comments:

  1. i think personally think you have beautiful skin! My cheeks are bit like yours except i don't have bumps, just redness - i do suspect it's like mild rosacea >_<

    on a different topic - i can definitely seen the primer working there. i haven't used primers since I've been using the bb cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have combo skin so this probably wouldn't work out for me so thank you for the review! I do love the glow it imparts on you. Never thought about how it's a barrier between skin and m/u. That makes me want to be more diligent about wearing it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it gives your skin that pearly effect :) Definitely very pretty! But very expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nic Nic
    Thanks!! :) Ah, hopefully the redness isn't too bothersome?

    @Shop N' Chomp
    I like the glow too! :)

    @Rainy Days and Lattes
    Hehe thanks! Agreed on all accounts. Cute username!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw.... :D

    Btw, I bought Laura Mercier's oil-free primer yesterday at Sephora! Haha! Figured I might as well grab it now (been wanting to try it) while it's on sale. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Lora, it's not bothersome at all. I just use concealer instead :P Btw RYC, the pigment is called Teal lol. Yeah you should try some bright colours!! I'm sure they will look great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, yes! I don't get how some girls can do that? Besides the dirty ground, they could step on something and cut themselves. =(

    I've done the whole massaging thing too...haha! If a place provides a shopping bag, I usually have a bag on each shoulder. Dorky but works...hehe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. New post please! ;)

    Hope you're doing well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. your skin is glowing and healthy ^^ can you tell me your skincare regime?

    ReplyDelete
  10. your reviews are so informative! i love it! i'm definitely subscribing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lina Kim!
    Thank you!! My skincare regime is really basic: Cerave face wash, 2% BHA liquid, Cerave cream. I'll try and do a more detailed post on it soon. Thanks for your comment! :)

    Hi Cinday!
    Thanks so much!! I really appreciate that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lora! Thanks for dropping by my page :) For my nails I used a regular silver glitter polish halfway and just put more coatings near the top :) And I also have those little cases of glitter powder that I just dabbed on. Sorry I can't be more specific! I did them a while back in Hong Kong and don't remember the brand I used x) Thx for asking!

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is deeply appreciated. ♥