Friday, April 15, 2011

Hair Shine & Smooth Serums and Cremes

Sometimes, I wonder about how to pick a hair serum. I have issues with tons of baby hair and frizzyness. I rarely style my hair and more often than not, you can find my hair in a bun (I know, booooring). I've tried to learn how to blow dry my hair properly but I can't seem to get the technique down. Probably doesn't help that my blow dryer is probably older than me, hah! Get this: it only has two buttons. One for low (which is honestly already high to me) and high. And one for on and off. No settings for cool and no nozzle attachments. Maybe an upgrade would help me blow dry properly...

Anyway, I usually just use hair serums to help pat down my frizz and baby hairs. I thought I'd do a little post on serums and creams I've used in the past and/or am currently using:

1. Biosilk
Any hair serum user has probably heard of Biosilk. About a few years ago, they decided to change up their marketing strategy and decided to start selling to the public. No more hair salon only sales or try-to-find-a-friend-with-a-cosmetologist-license issues. You can now easily buy Bioslik at your every day store, like Target!

A little goes a REALLY long way with this product. I've made the mistake one too many times of accidentally applying too much and ending up with grease head. Yuck. Also, for those of you who haven't tried it before, the scent is very strong, potentially overpowering. Someone once said I smelled like a hair salon hahaha. It was my first hair product in middle school and I didn't know how to use it at the time.

2. Loma Pearatin Fortifying Repairative Serum
Their catch phrase is "Reconstruct, Restore, and Shine." This serum smells sooooo good. Almost delectable. Loma Pearatin was my upgrade from Biosilk in terms of hair care. Unlike Biosilk which simply provides a nice shine, Loma Pearatin contains time-released Creatine and Keratin Protein-based serum to continuously reconstruct, repair, and hydrate hair and skin (didn't know it was okay to use it on your skin). It also provides thermal protection and locks-in all haircolor which is great since I color my hair.

One con is that it's difficult to find and pricing varies all over. I originally purchased it when it first came out: ~$10 for 3.4 fl oz. Now I see online prices stating $16 for 12 oz. Shucks.

In terms of frizz and baby hair control, this serum does a fabulous job. I don't have much to say about the reconditioning aspects of Loma Pearatin Serum though since I don't do a lot of damage to my hair but a friend of mine who religiously straightens her hair every single day swears by this serum. She says it's tremendously helped with her dying hair and makes it look so much shinier, healthier, and overall a lot better.

3. Zotos Diamond Shine Weightless Gloss Drops
$4.99 at Sally Beauty Supply

Description:
Alcohol free
Adds high-gloss shine
Smoothes frizz
Mends split ends
Color-safe
UV protectants

Diamond Shine haircare is made with a potent blend of real diamond micro-particles, panthenol, and keratin, that instantly infuses hair with high-gloss, radiant shine and exceptional strength. Diamond Shine is color-safe with UV protectants. Get 2X more Shine and Strength* with the Diamond Shine collection and get the beautiful, luminous hair you've always desired!


My Thoughts: A little goes a long way with this product, as with most hair serums. Does well to help with my frizz, flyaways, and baby hair.

4. Miracle 7 Shine Spray
$13.99 at Sally Beauty Supply

Smells great but I didn't see any noticeable results in my hair. Lack of shine (or maybe my hair is already shiny? :)) and did not help tame any frizz or baby hairs.

5. Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
Smells like Apples!! Mmmmm. This is my current hair serum and I really like it. I received so many compliments on how shiny and healthy my hair looked the first time I used it. I usually rub a little into my hair after I shower to seal in moisture with the silicone and if I see some flyaways as I'm heading out the door then I can add more then. My pump is broken so sometimes I accidentally pump out too much. Don't do that. As with most hair serums, a little goes a long way so use sparingly so you don't look like a grease head. Doesn't weigh my hair down which is nice.

6. Lucido-L Designing Tube Hair Moist Cream
Darn. I really wanted to like this product. It smells sooooo good and manages to give my hair a nice moist, healthy look but definitely doesn't help with my flyaways. I've read some fabulous reviews about it though. Maybe I just need to apply even more to my hair? I'll give that a try next time and update this post if anything.



So I won't be needing anything new hair serums for a while. I still have quite a few of these bottles left. One hair product I do want to try out is dry shampoos! Sometimes, toward the end of the day, the top of my head can get fairly oily so I've been eyeing dry shampoos since they started becoming popular a while back. Recommendations? :)

5 comments:

  1. I still haven't tried dry shampoos so I'm no help. =\ As for hair serums, I'll need to check out that Paul Mitchell! I'm using MoroccanOil atm but only to finish it up. I'm not seeing any shine from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I'm glad I got you to add such a "sophisticated" term to your vernacular. XP Happy Saturday to you too! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! (recently found your blog via google and i love it!!) I tried the Ojon
    Rub-Out dry cleansing powder and didn't like that one.. it makes my hair feel even dirtier! but the smell is okay...

    now i'm using one called Klorane..it's a spray and it works so great....you spray it into your hair and you don't need too much of it either!

    i've used the oscar blandi dry shampoo spray before and it smelled nice too..however, the spray lasted me like two uses and i'm not sure why..i couldve had a defective bottle? but i never went back to it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. they all sound like great products.. i think prefer western hair prods to Japanese stuff :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shop N' Chomp Ooh I haven't tried Moroccan Oil yet.

    @amandaaaaaaaa
    Oh, thank you! I'm glad you like the blog. :) Thanks also for sharing your experiences with dry shampoos! I will keep in mind that you prefer Klorane once I give these a try. That sucks that your Oscar Blandi one crapped out after 2 uses! Have you ever tried Batiste? It seems to have some pretty good reviews. See here: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Dry-Shampoo/SBS-381228,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair01-11

    @Nic Really? Interesting to know. I think I might too haha.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is deeply appreciated. ♥