Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bacne & Neutrogena Body Clear Review


Bacne. Yup. Today I'm going to be talking about my little experience with bacne. This feels ever so slightly embarrassing.

Starting with a little background: To the best of my knowledge, I don't breakout on my body. I have really minor Keratosis Pilaris (aka KP or chicken bumps) on the back of my arms but that's about it. But about 2-3 months ago... I started experiencing mild bacne! Sometimes I'd experience minor ichyness and to the touch, I could feel my back producing oil. When the heck did my back start producing oil?? It's always been dry lol. I had no idea and still don't know where it came from or what caused it. (UPDATE 3/18/2012: I completely forgot to update this but it turned out to be my new Tresemme shampoo and conditioner! Just after switching that shampoo and conditioner out, my back went back to normal. Hallelujah! So if you're having this issue, try switching out your shampoo and conditioner! Lately I've been using SLS free shampoo and my body and hair have been responding well.) 

My personal routine:
1. I shower every day.
2. I scrub my entire body down every day with soap/body wash. I alternate between a loofah and an Italy towel (see here).
3. I change my sheets every week.
4. I wash my clothes after 1 wear.
5. I don't wear clothes that's skin tight. I try to keep it loose, cool, airy.. Hah.

Even with this routine, it still wasn't going away! 
What was I doing wrong??

I decided it was time to ask friends for their recommendations. I didn't know who to ask since my friends and I haven't talked about bacne before but surprisingly, quite a few have experienced before and/or are experiencing it now! Now, I wasn't excited about that fact of course but more about the fact that I could get some feedback on what products to use.

All three friends I asked recommended Neutrogena's Body Clear Body Wash(the original one). Unfortunately, when I went to Target that day, Neutrogena's Body Clear Body Wash was sold out! Their Body Scrub & Body Wash in Pink Grapefruit were available though so I went ahead and purchased their Body Wash in Pink Grapefruit. I also purchased their Body Clear Body Spray for reasons you'll read about later. Both were purchased on sale. The Body Spray was $5.25 and the Body Wash was $7.19.

*Where to find it exactly in Target*
It actually took me quite a while to locate the product in my Target store. I scanned the Neutrogena facial care area for a while. Took even longer in the body lotion/body care aisle but couldn't find any of these Body Clear products! After going between both aisles multiple times and receiving a questionable look from a man in the facial care section, I FINALLY spotted it on the adjacent aisle wall of the Neutrogena facial care section. So that's where you look people. I hope this helps to save you some time. :)

I started using Neutrogena's Body Clear Body Spray later that day. TWO days later, my back was no longer irritated or itchy. FABULOUS. I was ecstatic. A few more days pass by (maybe another two?) and my back is clear. WHAT~. I didn't start using Neutrogena's Body Wash in Grapefruit till about three days after I purchased it so I can't really vouch for it's bacne-ridding-properties. In my honest opinion, I don't understand how a body wash with Salicylic Acid would help since it's being washed off your body right after you apply it. But I can vouch for Neutrogena's Body Spray. Stuff's good.

Verdict?
I'd highly recommend Neutrogena's Body Clear Body Spray for those who are having issues with bacne. At least mild bacne since that's what I had. YAY for a clear & itch-less back again! Seriously that itch was probably the most irritating part. Originally, I was thinking, "Oh well. Bacne is kind of normal. I can deal." But I couldn't deal with the itchy back since my arms are so short! lol Phew~

A note about amount of product usage:
The Body Spray will last a loooong time. Me thinks. This picture below depicts 2 weeks usage. Every day after I shower, I use about 6 sprays on my back and I still have a ton left! I know. "Six sprays?? Isn't that overkill?" I just wanted to make sure I was doing well to cover my entire upper back. And it worked! :)

Also, the spray DOES work even when the bottle is upside down! At first I was skeptical but upon inspection of the pump inside the bottle, it does look different from a normal straight pump. Just fyi, it works. :)

The Grapefruit Body Wash on the other hand... This picture below depicts 1.5 weeks usage. It's going to be finished in no time. Probably won't be repurchasing it again but to be honest, it does smell super nice! So maybe. :)

For more information on the two products I used: 
Neutrogena Body Clear® Body Spray
Neutrogena Body Clear® Body Wash - Pink Grapefruit

9 comments:

  1. Hi Lora! Thank you for the sweet email! I'm going to get back to you today. I get pimples on my back - its annoying - I think it's a way of body showing I'm purging all the toxins out. I get it when my diet hasn't been great. I guess I prefer it on my back than my face :P If only they had that kinda stuff in japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was really helpful! I've always had one or two pimples on my back every so often, but for the past year, it's been out-of-control =/ It never goes away, so I am definitely going to try the Neutrogena Body Clear Body Spray. I currently have the body wash but don't use it much since sometimes I feel like it made my bacne worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nic Nic: That's so true! Haha I hadn't thought of it like that. I too would prefer them on my back rather than my face. :)

    @Kimberly: I'm glad you found this post helpful!! I hope the Body Clear Body Spray works for you! Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just wanted to know of you apply like a lotion after you apply the spray ( to prevent overdrying..) of if you just use the spray and go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you like the smell, maybe you could try the face wash in grapefruit. I'm using it and it smells nice. The smell is a little strong since it's in such close proximity to the nose, but i like it.. hahah.. I have the exfoliate grapefruit version too, it's not bad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous!
    I usually just spray, give it a few seconds to dry, and then throw on my clothes and go. When I do remember though, I do like to apply a bit of lotion since this spray does dry out my back a bit (even though the % of salicylic acid is very minor).

    Hi Stefanie!
    Thanks for the suggestions!! I have tried their grapefruit face wash before. Doesn't it smell great?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh when you said your tresemme shampoo was causing breakouts on your back...I randomly went out and bought some tresemme and after about a week of washing my hair w it my back broke out horribly. I figured it was that that was causing it but now it's pretty much confirmed. Thanks for the tips on the grapefruit wash I've been debating buying it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lora! Thanks for this post - I've been trying to decide if I should try Neurtrogena Body Clear because I've read bad reviews that it can tear up peoples' skin and make it worse. Do you have sensitive skin or have a hard time finding cleansing products that work without irritating your skin?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the review! I have horrible bacne at the moment and am desperately looking for something that will make my back look decent because summer is comming up and well no one wants an ugly back in that time T T I will try the spray and body wash out since I don't like grapefruit smell :( I hope it will help me though thank you so much for this post, I can't wait to try it out ^-^ Wish me luck haha

    -Mindy

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is deeply appreciated. ♥